Sunday, December 2, 2007

Echo by Kate Morgenroth

Echo is the story of a boy who was present, and perhaps more, at the tragic death of his little brother. A year later, his life is a living hell, and he decides to end it all after a particularly horrible incident at school. This book turns into a groundhog day-like situation with escalating confusion (or enlightenment) about what really happened, both at school and in the original incident. There's a bit of a let down twist at the end with a very modern issue being high-lighted.

UPDATE: At first I wrote that it was a maybe, but I was distracted at the time, and had completely forgotten about the scene that really disturbed me with the gay teen in the bathroom. It was never clear that this scene had actually happened, but it felt exploitative and unnecessary. NAY.

2 Comments:

At December 10, 2007 at 4:16 PM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

I forgot I had already read this book until I was reviewing my random reads page. Here is what I posted: The young adult novel meets Groundhog Day. The novel begins when Justin witnesses his 12 year old brother accidentally shooting and killing himself. Justin becomes a troubled young man and soon finds himself fighting his former best friend who ends up falling down a flight of stairs. Justin goes home and swallows a bunch of pills to end his life. Does he die? The novel becomes very confusing as Justin relives the events leading up to his suicide attempt. Overall, the novel was engaging but very confusing. I found myself becoming frustrated as I reread the same text over and over again. I will let readers decide for themselves on this one.
I give this a big NAY! Awful.

 
At January 23, 2008 at 5:53 PM , Blogger Katie said...

I'm a NAY on this one as well. I got annoyed with the concept and the twist at the end was pretty ridiculous. Read it in about an hour.
Nay

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home