Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Harmless by Dana Reinhardt

Anna and Emma are freshmen who've been best friends since third grade. Emma befriends Mariah, another freshman dating a senior at another school. Mariah seems worldly and popular and the other two girls are drawn to her. Eventually the three girls become inseperable until one night changes everything. Instead of being caught in a lie, the trio fabricate an even bigger lie to avoid getting into trouble. Their lie spirals out of control and an entire community is affected. Most likely appeal to younger audiences. Reminded me of What Mr. Mattero Did.

Nay for me.

Anne Keller

4 Comments:

At May 23, 2007 at 3:00 PM , Blogger Karrie said...

I have to agree; NAY for me, too. I could empathize with the way everything snowballed for these girls, but I just couldn't get thoroughly invested in their story.

 
At May 24, 2007 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

I agree,I did not like how the book flowed.

 
At June 26, 2007 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Deb Motley said...

I thought it was better than that. The girls did something really stupid and it affected them each so differently. The first person narrative from each girls' perspective worked for me. I didn't like them particularly, well maybe Emma, and I hate what they did, but I thought it was a good story and a good cautionary tale. Yay for me

 
At August 22, 2007 at 12:40 PM , Blogger Patty said...

I liked it! I'm not sure there is appeal for boys here, but I do think it will appeal to girls. I wouldn't give it to my 12 year old, though, because the themes are mature. Some of it was overly dramatic, but hey, we're talking about 15 year old girls here! I'll be honest, though, it won't win Thumbs Up, so I won't waste a YAY vote. Here's a NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home