Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm Being Stalked by a Moonshadow by Doug MacLeod

This book is completely absurd...though in a good way. 14-year old Seth Parrot lives with his quirky family in Australia. His dad begins a feud with a city inspector when he "accidentally" flicks manure (which the family was using to line their walls) on Mr. Raven. When Seth gets a crush on a muscular kickboxing girl, he finds that she is Raven's daughter. In order to give his life some semblance of normalcy he is trying to woo Miranda, avoid her ex-boyfriend who keeps punching him and get his parents sex life back on track. This is crazy and ridiculous and I liked it a lot. YAH.

3 Comments:

At November 27, 2007 at 1:53 PM , Blogger Iris said...

I enjoyed this one, too, but I wasn't sure that it would translate well for teens who don't know what a tip is. I'm giving it to one of my teens to read and give me her opinion, but I'd say Maybe for now.

 
At January 14, 2008 at 7:09 PM , Blogger kathy said...

I must have missed the tip reference, but veranda escapes me - bangs? I couldn't find veranda (other than patio) in Aussie slang or dictionary sites.

I was a bit taken short by asking what countries were called before they broke up (Gondwanaland)??? I think the editor could have replaced that with continents.

But maybe that's nit picking.

I enjoyed the book. Loved Carrot's quirks, the lovely difference in voices, the change in tempo and cadence with MacLeod's writing. Absurd, bizarre and genuine.

I may be looking for the heart wrenching, major self-realization or survival to make me hesitate in giving this a hearty YAY. It is a Yay and I'll be glad to discuss with others.

 
At February 4, 2008 at 6:33 AM , Blogger Kara Fredericks said...

I really enjoyed this wacky book but I am not sure how I would feel about giving it the Thumbs Up award so I have to say MAYBE for right now. And I agree that there were some things that American kids may not get due to the Australian setting.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home