Friday, May 25, 2007

The Plain Janes


This is a graphic novel about a new girl in school who decides not to eat lunch with the popular crowd, but befriends a table of outcasts, all named Jane. She comes up with the idea of becoming art terrorists which disturbs the adults in the community, but the other kids in school think it's cool. The Janes gain confidence because of their experience.

I liked this quick read. The adult reaction to the acts of art was a little unbelievable and detracted from the story for me a little. I wouldn't have thought of a graphic novel for Thumb's Up, but American Born Chinese makes it OK and I liked this as much as that. MAYBE

6 Comments:

At May 25, 2007 at 11:06 AM , Blogger Karrie said...

I enjoyed it, particularly how the events of the first couple of pages unfold throughout the rest of the story. One of the better graphic novels I've read lately, but not award-worthy. NAY.

 
At May 28, 2007 at 3:08 PM , Blogger Iris said...

The most compelling moments of the book were definitely the first few pages. I hope kids will read it (I bought it, they'd better read it!), but I found that making the terror-aspect of the plot so marginal and one-dimensional after the first explosion detracted from the story. Brain-dead polish guy was a nice touch. :) The dopey cops were lame. This falls into the Maybes.

Oh, and I didn't think much of American Born Chinese, myself.

 
At June 21, 2007 at 12:47 PM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

I have to say Nay on this one. I was leaning towards a maybe but after one of my YAC teens read it shortly after me, and told me she did not like it. I vote Nay.

 
At August 20, 2007 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

Okay, jane finds hope in a dandelion, cuts her hair, moves and attends a new school. Thought it was mildly interesting but wide spread appeal, especially for boys. And not award worthy, so NAY.

 
At August 20, 2007 at 4:09 PM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

Oops, i meant NO widespread appeal

 
At October 30, 2007 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

maybe/nay for me - though i enjoyed it :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home