Friday, May 25, 2007

Sara's Face by Melvin Burgess

So I know we aren't supposed to post until after we have read the book... and Melvin Burgess is not one of my favorite authors, but this book is eerily fantastic. I am only about 1/4 of the way through and the two characters are so complex and I just don't want it to end.

Basically there is a character like Michael Jackson who has had so much plastic surgery that his face has pretty much collapsed and wears a mask all the time yet he is super famous and rich and has a mansion.

Enter Sara, a character with so many issues on so many levels. She has "accidentally" burned a small portion of her face and is in the hospital and meets MJ like character. She moves into his mansion where he promises to make her a star (her dream) and give her tons of plastic surgery.

Very very good so far. MI Thumbs Up Worthy??? You 'll have to read and see...

3 Comments:

At July 3, 2007 at 3:24 PM , Blogger Patty said...

I give this one a YAY. It's like the tamest Melvin Burgess book in regards to explicit sex, but the story is compelling and the characters well developed. It's a thriller and a mystery and a love story wrapped into one. The ending is open and this is a title that I will be thinking about later. YAY!

 
At August 20, 2007 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Katie said...

I just couldn't seem to really get into this one. The story was an interesting concept, but I disliked the characters and didn't really care what happened. Nay

 
At January 12, 2008 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Iris said...

It was clear from the start that Burgess was inspired by "Eyes Without a Face," an extremely creepy French horror film. That said, I don't like horror, so I wasn't thrilled to realize this.

I dislike manipulative double talk and obsessions with plastic surgery so I immediately hated Sara. Knowing I had a job to do, I persevered and discovered the book has merits. I personally preferred Doing It, explicit shenanigans and all, but I think there are teen girls who will find the character frighteningly close to home, and the story thrilling, though I can see them skipping to the end just to find out what happens.

As with all of Burgess's work, the author expects the reader to pick up all the subtext and make their own judgments about the characters, but I have vague qualms that this book might give cutters ideas..

Maybe...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home