Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Zane's Trace by Allan Wolf

Zane Guesswind has a tough life: a family riven by mental illness, substance abuse and suicide, plus his own epilepsy and grief. To exorcise his demons, Zane writes obsessively with permanent markers on his bedroom walls and later on the dashboard of the 1969 Barracuda he commandeers and drives to Zanesville, Ohio. There he plans to shoot himself at his mother's graveside with the heirloom pistol she used to kill herself. En route, he meets the intriguing Libba and assorted characters who each hold a piece of the puzzle that is Zane. (From Amazon.com)
This book was confusing and hard to follow, but painted a good image of how mental illness can effect those both directly and indirectly involved. I thought that there was a lot of stream-of-consciousness writing to it. It did not appeal to me and has hardly been checked out at my library, so it must not appeal to many teens either. I give it a NAY.

2 Comments:

At December 26, 2007 at 2:16 PM , Blogger Kip said...

I enjoyed this once I figured out Wolf's pattern of presenting the story. I don't think the portions written in poetry were that well-written and some of the history was over done and bogged down the story for me, so NAY.

 
At January 15, 2008 at 10:46 AM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

Forgot I read this one a long time ago too, Nay for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home