Monday, January 21, 2008

Blood Brothers by S. A. Harazin



This is a story of two best friends who are very different. Joey has it all - a family, good looks, friends, money, intelligence and is on his was to Duke. Clay's mom died when he was born, his dad isn't around much, he has low self-esteem, has to work at the hospital to help pay family bills, has no real friends (other than Joey). Their big plan is to take a bike trip cross-country. Clay doesn't have the money and then Joey makes a life-altering mistake - he smokes "weed mixed with PCP and other". Clay finds him out-of-control in the shed and there is a struggle - Joey ends up in the hospital in a coma. The book is about responsibility - who is responsible for Joey being in the hospital, about choices - why teens go to parties, how they choose "friends" and when to tell the truth about yourself and others. The hospital scenes are real, from everyday stuff to tragedies. The characters are real. It is fast-paced and would appeal to both boys and girls. I give it a YAY.

2 Comments:

At January 21, 2008 at 10:57 AM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

I just finished reading this book. While I thought the book was good, I don't think it is top 20 material based on other stuff I read. I like the hospital scenes but thought that certain aspects were a little stretched, I mean, Clay graduated from high school, but at 17, he seemed to have a lot of responsibility for a med tech. Overall, a good read, I will say maybe but leaning towards Nay. Liked the Chief character.

 
At February 7, 2008 at 9:22 AM , Blogger Patty said...

This book reminded me a lot of Looking for Alaska and a little bit of Forest Gump rolled into one. I did like it but the quality of the writing is not superb. I think I'm giving it a NAY (which I didn't really know until I started typing!)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home