Thursday, January 24, 2008

November Blues by Sharon Draper


Sixteen-year-old November's boyfriend died as a result of hazing when he was attempting to join a school club. Two months after his death November finds out that she is pregnant. This book provides a very realistic look at teenage pregnancy and all that teenage girls go through (i.e. their feelings of how their life will change forever, the reactions of parents and friends, sickness and what their bodies go through, etc). I guess I do think this was a good book, but at times it felt a bit too contrived for me. This book was a CSK Honor book this year. I also forgot to mention that it's a sequel to THE BATTLE OF JERICHO. Right now, my vote is NAY. I would love to hear what others think about this one.

2 Comments:

At January 24, 2008 at 2:52 PM , Blogger Zandra said...

Two things I forgot to mention:
I was not satisfied with the ending. I cannot believe that just because the baby was not born "perfect" that Josh's parent would just give up on her and not want to have anything to do with her. And, what was up with November brother? Was he still alive? Was he away i a group home? It seems like he was the forgotten kid. I wonder why Draper made him a part of the story. I haven't read THE BATTLE OF JERICHO - maybe he was integral to that story???

 
At February 3, 2008 at 5:17 AM , Blogger Carol K said...

I liked this book until the end. I thought it was pretty real in its portrayal of how people might react to the situation....until the end. I don't believe Josh's parents would walk away just because the baby "might have problems." And the ending was a bit tidy for me. Good book, not top 20. NAY

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home