Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr

Deanna is 13 when her dad catches her having sex with her older brother's friend in his pick-up. News spreads fast in a small town and people still refer to her as a slut 3 years later. Her older brother lives in the basement with his girlfriend and their baby. Deanna obtains work at a pizza parlor and things start to look up. Oh yeah, did I mention she is in love with her best friend who is dating her other best friend? A pretty good read.

I am maybe...

6 Comments:

At May 23, 2007 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Patty said...

I read this one awhile ago and I thought it was pretty realistic. There's probably alot of families out there like hers, and a lot of daughters with relationships like that with her dad. I thought it was pretty good overall but not a "wow" title!

 
At May 23, 2007 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Kip said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At May 23, 2007 at 2:58 PM , Blogger Karrie said...

I think I have to be the first NAY on this one. It just didn't grab me the way I'd hoped it would.

 
At June 12, 2007 at 10:22 AM , Blogger Mary R said...

I thought this was a realistic read and was glad there wasn't a pat ending where all of Deanna's problems are solved. Probably not a top 20. Nay.

 
At August 22, 2007 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

I thought this was pretty good. Probably not a top 20 though so I guess I'll have to say NAY.

 
At October 16, 2007 at 7:49 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Just saw that this is a National Book Award finalist.
Interesting!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home