Saturday, June 9, 2007

Hear Us Out!: Lesbian and Gay Stories of Struggle, Progress, and Hope, 1950 to the Present by Nancy Garden


This title is very clear as to what the book contains.... short stories about gay and lesbian characters and their struggles... and the stories take place during different time periods, from the 1950s on. At the beginning of each time period, there is an essay that explains what was going on in the world/America and what that time period was like for gays and lesbians. I enjoyed the stories as well as the essays but I kept finding myself wanting to learn more about the characters and how their situation changed as they got older. I really would have loved if some of the stories were full length novels. This is a YAY for me.

3 Comments:

At August 2, 2007 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Deb Motley said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At August 2, 2007 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Deb Motley said...

While I agree with what Janice writes, the book dragged on for me. When I got to the essay about the current decade, I thought it was way too detailed to hold interest. Having said that I learned a lot and think this book should be read just for the understanding it gives. But for thumbs up I'd give it maybe at best, leaning towards nay.

 
At August 22, 2007 at 4:13 PM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

This book had a lot of great stories, and makes the reader think about many issues; But I do not think that it has the wide appeal that a thumbs up books should have. I give it a Nay, but a good book to have in the collection.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home