Thursday, May 31, 2007

My Dead Girlfriend by Eric Wight


Surprisingly, I really enjoyed this graphic novel about a teen named Finney Bleak who is trying to deal with his presumed fate of dying a strange death. Finney encounters much of the same trails and tribulations that regular teens face, yet they come in the form of ghosts and other odd creatures/ monsters. This was the first graphic novel that I had ever read and I was not really looking forward to it, but keeping an open mind allowed me to enjoy it without too much expectation. While I don't see myself tossing aside the typical novel any time soon, I am now looking forward to future books in this series. YAY

7 Comments:

At June 6, 2007 at 8:34 AM , Blogger Iris said...

This book was okay, but not really to my taste. The chunky illustrations feel very.. cheap and American. Maybe.

 
At June 30, 2007 at 1:16 PM , Blogger Kip said...

I really liked this one. The story was funny, snarky and sarcastic. The illustrations were not great, but did not detract from the story at all. I give this a YAH.

 
At July 3, 2007 at 12:23 PM , Blogger kathy said...

I enjoyed My Dead Girlfriend, will definitely add it to the collection. It is a good start to a graphic novel series - I am not sure there's enough "meat" to the story to stand alone for the Thumbs Up Award though. It is funny, drawings are fun (I think chunky is part of the style for the goth look), themes are relevant to teens, but I give it a maybe for the top 20.

 
At July 30, 2007 at 6:44 AM , Blogger Karrie said...

I thought this was an adorable story, with tongue planted firmly in cheek, and I would definitely recommend it to teens. However, I don't think there's enough there to be award-worthy, so it's a NAY.

 
At August 20, 2007 at 3:29 PM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

Not a huge fan of graphic novels, well not a fan at all, we just got this novel in and I read it. I thought the black and white concept was a little different but don't think it is award worthy.

 
At August 20, 2007 at 5:11 PM , Blogger Zandra said...

I liked this book. The story was enjoyable and I wanted to read more after I was finished. The illustrations, although not overwhelming artistically, were good and complimented the story nicely. A wonderful introduction to the series. YAY

 
At January 22, 2008 at 6:49 AM , Blogger kathy said...

In light of subsequent reading since I voted on this title, I am revising some votes to narrow the field for the top 20 discussion. NAY

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home