Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Epic by Connor Kostick



In this futuristic story, the citizens of New Earth live in a society where violence is completely banned, and the only way conflicts are resolved is through a massive multiplayer online game called Epic. People toil in saltmines or olive farms with next to nothing to their name, yet spend as much time as they can adventuring in Epic to try to accumulate wealth a few pennies at a time -- until Erik and his friends find a way to use the game in a way no one has thought to in decades.

This was a fun read, and certainly an interesting concept -- think World of Warcraft meets Big Brother. However, the dialogue was very stilted, which kept me from truly enjoying the creative foundation for the story. NAY.

2 Comments:

At August 17, 2007 at 9:06 AM , Blogger Iris said...

I opened this book up at 4 in the morning hoping for a little break after dealing with bats in the cottage. I couldn’t stop reading it, it was fast paced, fun and in my opinion a wonderful book for the MMORPG/Second Life generation. I can’t wait to pass it on. Yay.

 
At October 30, 2007 at 11:17 AM , Blogger Elizabeth Norton said...

I agree with Karrie...the concept is great for the gamer generation and in some ways the book made me miss my long-gone gaming days, but I had trouble reading this book for long stretches and thought that it dragged a bit. NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home