Monday, May 28, 2007

Your Own, Sylvia

Your Own, Sylvia by Stephanie Hemphill feels like a sort of fan-art piece that provides incites, if imagined, about the life of the poet Sylvia Plath. Each poem is written from the viewpoint of someone in Plath's life, be it her mother or an ex-boyfriend. What becomes apparent from the story is that Plath was incredibly bright overachiever who seemed to enjoy playing with boys. A lot. The poem about her rolling in hay (literally) with some German guy was funny, and it made me want to read her journals, which are helpfully footnoted at the bottom of this particular page. Almost all of the poems have similar footnotes about where the author found inspiration for the poem.

I am not a great judge of poetry, but I find reading poems about a poet harder than reading the poet herself. I just want to go straight to the source material. So this is a maybe, leaning towards nay.

--Edith

2 Comments:

At June 15, 2007 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Katie said...

I just don't have much to say about this one. I enjoyed the footnotes more than the verses. NAY.

 
At July 16, 2007 at 10:02 AM , Blogger Patty said...

Wow, I really liked it! It made me want to reread Bell Jar and Sylvia's poetry. I agree that the footnotes were most illuminating. I would like to vote YAY and hear what someone else has to say.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home