Sunday, May 27, 2007

Notes on a Near-Life Experience


Mia's seemingly perfect and happy family has dissolved following her parent's divorce. Mia feels ghost-like as she tries to ignore the range of emotions she is feeling and finds that the divorce touches everything in her life, good and bad. With the help of a hip therapist, a strong personality, and an ultimately loving family, she begins to heal.
I thought this was a nicely done debut novel. While it deals with the somewhat commonplace teen issues of divorce and first boyfriend, the characters were fresh and believable. I was disappointed by the overt pop culture references (I feel these usually date a book unnecessarily) and I think Birdsall is still developing a voice as an author of teen lit. I will give this a Maybe leaning toward yay.

2 Comments:

At May 28, 2007 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Iris said...

I concur. The author does a good job describing the parent's breakup, but I'm not buying it that the girl doesn't pick up on her brother's new drinking habit. A strong maybe.

Edith

 
At May 31, 2007 at 9:04 AM , Blogger Karrie said...

Posted for Patty:


This is a quick read, typical teen fare about a family falling apart in the midst of a divorce. Prior to the divorce the family seemed pretty close, so its demise is a little sad. The writing was good, but nothing really spectacular--I'll have to give it a NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home