Saturday, May 26, 2007

Such a Pretty Face


I was really impressed by the 12 stories in this collection. Beauty is examined, questioned, explained, and denied in stories by some of the greatest/most popular teen writers. The resulting collection is a thought provoking, often hilarious, and sometimes troubling look at society. The editor Ann Angel uses story inclusion and placement to show the many facets and types of beauty. Great teen appeal, timeliness, and celebration of teen lit as a genre. By far, the best of what I have read. YAY!

2 Comments:

At July 5, 2007 at 11:24 AM , Blogger Iris said...

I just whipped through the collection this morning. Some stories (Farang, Red Rover, Red Rover) were much better than others (my crazy, beautiful world, cheekbones), and while I'm not a huge fan of it, I thought it was reasonably interesting and timely. Maybe.

 
At August 28, 2007 at 4:50 PM , Blogger Patty said...

Just finished this book tonight. I thought it was thought provoking and I liked all the stories in it, especially "Ape" and "Bella in Five Acts." I thought the authors featured in this collection are good. However, I had no problem finding this book on my shelf and it really hasn't been checked out by anybody but me! I think I could get a teen to take it with some convincing! I give it a YES but could be persuased to change it to a MAYBE.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home