Monday, May 28, 2007

Spelldown

Okay, I will admit I totally loved this book, but then, I love words, and this book is full of long, interesting words. It is also full of a lovely heartfelt, yes, even exciting story of a girl living in the South in the '60s.

Karlene Bridges is a smart girl. She is on the verge of being a full-fledged teenager, and a champion speller. Too bad her Dad is a drinker, and Mom must work all day doing back-breaking menial labor. At least she has an amazing (rich!) teacher who can help her to reach her goals, and a level headed (religious!) boy who kinda thinks she's hot.

There are several drawbacks with this novel. First, there is some jumping around in time that gets a bit confusing towards the end. The other problem is getting teens to read it, now that spelling bees feel overdone. I personally say Yay, but I look forward to other reviews.
--Edith

6 Comments:

At May 29, 2007 at 6:48 AM , Blogger Karrie said...

I don't see this book anywhere on our list. Is it something you would like to nominate? If so, I'll add it.

 
At May 29, 2007 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Iris said...

Whoops, forgot to say that. Yes, I discovered it, and it is a teen novel published in 2007, so I do nominate it.

 
At May 31, 2007 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Karrie said...

I've added it to the list; you'll see it next time I send out an update.

 
At January 2, 2008 at 10:12 AM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

It didn't overwhelmingly "wow" me but it was good. MAYBE for me.

 
At January 10, 2008 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

Was good but not great, don't know if it is award worthy. Maybe also.

 
At February 1, 2008 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Carol K said...

I enjoyed the story. Seemed a littled disjointed. I would recommend it to some English classes, but not sure it is award worthy, but certainly better than many I have read. I too am a MAYE

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home