Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Miner's Daughter by Gretchen Moran Laskas



This story about life in a mining town during the Depression depicts the hardships and fears of the era and the place from the point of view of the oldest daughter of a very close-knit family. While it treats some issues realistically, such as black lung, starvation, and racial prejudice, everything for this family works out. They get a visit from Eleanor Roosevelt and move to a New Deal homestead. So while I like it for its historical detail, I think everything ends a little to neatly (not that I like death and destruction...) I say maybe, leaning toward yay.

1 Comments:

At November 6, 2007 at 7:48 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

Yah! Great historical fiction book, several teens in my YAC also have read and enjoyed. A big Yah!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home