Saturday, June 2, 2007

The Decoding of Lana Morris


There is something disgusting about this book. Maybe its the discussions of poop. Maybe it's the thumping box-spring of the one-armed, cuckolding foster mother. Maybe its the fact that the main character agrees to ride in the car trunk of a guy who smokes pot while driving. Maybe its the special needs kids with all their painfully awkward foibles. There were many moments reading this novel when I thought: ick.

Despite my squeamishness, I couldn't stop reading it. Sadly, the end didn't quite live up to the rest of the story. Maybe?
Update: My mom loves it. I suppose that's a positive.

5 Comments:

At August 6, 2007 at 6:31 PM , Blogger Katie said...

I found this to be a wonderfully crafted book. Lana is a complex character who is living as best she can in a life that is filled with fear and loneliness. The gift of the book is that Lana faces her demons and acts in ways that show her growing maturity. Her initial care of the "Snicks" turns to caring for them as family. She realizes that the extreme terror of being alone does not make her alliance with Whit ok, nor does it mean she needs to demean herself to belong to Trina and K.C.'s nasty club. I think Lana's discoveries will have great YAs appeal, especially for older teens who are dealing with the same need for identity as Lana.

 
At August 6, 2007 at 6:33 PM , Blogger Katie said...

whoops, obviously a Yay for me.

 
At September 16, 2007 at 10:58 AM , Blogger Deb Motley said...

I tend to agree with Katie. Although I too thought it was creepy that Lana was willing to ride in the trunk,her growth in the book made the rest bearable. Also, having worked with adults with developmental disabilites for 20 years, I can say that the portrayal of the Snicks was spot on. I give it a yay, too

 
At November 6, 2007 at 7:19 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

Yah!

 
At December 5, 2007 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Mary R said...

I also liked the "be careful what you wish for element". Yay

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home