Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Swan Maiden by Heather Tomlinson

(Forgive me, I know this isn't my group, but it was already on my bedside table. I can remove this if it's a problem)

This is a perfectly readable fantasy about a girl with a controlling mother and powerful sisters with cloaks of swans down, who get to go off and learn to be sorcerers while she learns to be a chatelaine at home. This sucks, until she discovers that she, too, is a swan maiden, and her cloak was hidden under her parents' bedding. This precipitates a marriage proposal from the local poor shepherd she's been crushing on, a trip to her feminist aunt's castle to complete her education, and a shocking realization that her mom is an evil *****. Entertaining, but nothing special, so NAY.

2 Comments:

At December 17, 2007 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Karrie said...

Of course it's not a problem! Glad someone else read it. I second everything you said, including the NAY.

 
At January 17, 2008 at 11:53 AM , Blogger Elizabeth Norton said...

And I third it. NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home