Sunday, January 13, 2008

Anything but Ordinary by Valerie Hobbs


I absolutely loved this book.
From the moment their romance begins in eighth grade, Winifred and Bernie are individualists. They pride themselves on being different, and have each other for support through the tough years of high school. So when they consider college, they send off for the same catalogs, promising never to separate.
But Bernie’s mother dies and Bernie more or less drops out of school, becoming an ordinary guy working away in a tire shop, while Winifred goes about as far from New Jersey as a girl can go: the University of California at Santa Barbara. College is a culture shock to Winifred, but her three savvy roommates teach her how to fit in. By the time Bernie catches up with her again, Winifred has become, well . . . ordinary. Can they rediscover their true selves – and true love?
The story is told from alternating viewpoints and readers are left wondering right up to the end what will become of their friendship. I found this to be a realistic story with believable characters. I think it will appeal to both boy and girl teens. YAY!

5 Comments:

At January 13, 2008 at 8:17 PM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

I read this one a while back but don't know why i didn't blog it for the life of me. I give it a Nay. There were a few good parts like when Bernie lived in the library and was almost stalkerish up at Winnie's school. Anyway, I vote Nay.

 
At January 14, 2008 at 10:07 AM , Blogger Kip said...

I really hated this book. It is exactally like tons of Gen-X books written for adults except that it takes place now and is disguised as a Teen book. NAY.

 
At January 22, 2008 at 10:36 AM , Blogger Kara Fredericks said...

I really enjoyed this book, and enjoyed the authenticity of the characters and the idea of being true to one's self. I vote YAY

 
At January 22, 2008 at 9:00 PM , Blogger kathy said...

Ugh. I'm with Kip on this one. Are most books written in that tense? It read like the wrong past tense, but I'm too weary to go back and figure it out. Funny how a little book can elicit such different reactions. NAY

 
At January 27, 2008 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Karrie said...

Another NAY. Didn't really believe or care about any of the characters -- too two-dimensional. And Bernie's stalkerish behavior? Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home