Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Edenville Owls by Robert B. Parker


This seems to be a vanity piece for Parker. I like the Spenser books and the repartee between his adult novel characters, but this book fell very flat. It is essentially the story of a group of friends who have an upstart basketball team in 1946 Massachusetts. Throw in the cute girl, who is dating one of the guys but of course likes the protagonist, the gratuitous mentions of radio shows and 1940s pop culture, and the unlikely Cinderella story of the unchoached b-ball team, and I was already bored. Oh, by the way, there is a disturbing mystery regarding their 8th grade teacher and a creepy man in a Ford Tudor, that the kids solve with no violence and a happily-ever-after for all. NAY.

2 Comments:

At June 30, 2007 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Patty said...

OK, so I love Robert Parker and I have to say I see him as the young "Bobby" of this book; sort of a Spenser-in-training.
I liked that it was a quick read--maybe 3 hours total--and I kind of liked the nostalgic feeling around it. I'm not sure how the teens would respond--probably not that well, so I have to give it a NAY.

 
At July 28, 2007 at 6:30 AM , Blogger Iris said...

As a lover of the British cosy and WWII historical fiction, I found this somewhat entertaining. Maybe I've been watching too much Foyle's War. A nay for me too, due to teen tastes. This novel would be given to a teen by adults who love Mr. Parker.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home