Friday, June 15, 2007

Prom Dates from Hell by Rosemary Clement-Moore


This is basically a mash-up of teen chick-lit and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Maggie has always tried to ignore the fact that she may have some mysterious powers, but when strange things begin happening at her school she can't help but investigate. And, of course, two handsome lads are in the picture as well. This is actually a charming book, because Maggie is a neat character and there are lots of funny pop culture references, especially about Nancy Drew. While I will recommend this to some of my patrons, I think it is just a MAYBE here.

3 Comments:

At July 9, 2007 at 6:23 AM , Blogger Kara Fredericks said...

I thought this book was OK. It was an easy read that I could see appealing to teen girls who like reading about the paranormal. I really enjoyed the sharp, sarcastic wit of the main character, Maggie. Though at times I thought the book was a little dry. I would have to say NAY.

 
At August 1, 2007 at 6:24 AM , Blogger kathy said...

I enjoyed Prom Dates from Hell - it made me laugh, and I liked Maggie's spunk. It is an enticing read and contains humor, observations on high school social strata and incorporates multi-media communication in a readable way. I liked Clement-Moore's metaphors and wit. Not high literature, but I give it a yay.

 
At August 15, 2007 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Iris said...

What a fun little book! I kept thinking of Meg Cabot reading it. I enjoyed it, but I just didn’t think it merited an award. NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home