Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Wolf by Steven Herrick


Even though I'm a hard sell on novels in verse, this one does work, as it allows the narrative to bounce easily back and forth between the two main characters: Jake, whose father has him convinced that there is a wolf living near their farm even though wolves don't live in Australia, and Lucy, Jake's neighbor who gets Jake to go looking for the wolf with her as a way to avoid her abusive father. There are even a handful of poems thrown in from the point of view of Lucy's annoying younger brother, Peter. A decent, fast read, but not award-worthy, so NAY.

1 Comments:

At August 19, 2007 at 8:37 PM , Blogger Iris said...

Reading The Wolf, I was reminded of the old trashy romances I wrote as a college student for my house-mates, one of which was the story of a boy and a girl growing up on Australian sheep farms.. of course, this novel was much better.

In fact, I was surprised the author was a guy, considering the material. The novel had tension, drama and romance, and the poetry worked for me. Not award-winning perhaps, but I would recommend it. NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home