Monday, June 18, 2007

The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt


This book took me a little while to get into, but I am glad I pushed through it because it ended up being a great story about a 7th grader named Holling Hoodhood who realizes that the world doesn't revolve around him and all of the choices that world has to offer. I thought that it had the right mix of comedy and seriousness in dealing with topics such as the assassination of Bobby Kennedy, The Vietnam War, and dealing with teachers, parents and fellow students whom you feel have it in for you. I give this book a YAY.

7 Comments:

At June 25, 2007 at 4:07 PM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

Almost finished but love it so far. Yay!!! for sure.

Anne Keller

 
At June 28, 2007 at 9:26 PM , Blogger Iris said...

The first sixty pages of the book needed an editor, but after that it was quite good. I even teared up at times. My favorite moments were the daughter coming home, the whole baseball/Mickey Mantle story, and the nuclear drills stuff. You had lovely tension and drama. The cream puffs and the hating guts stuff.. did nothing for me.

Finally a well written one that I can give to younger readers.. not that they would get it. So much of this book requires prior knowledge to truly enjoy it.

A grudging yay.

 
At June 29, 2007 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Kip said...

I give this a YAH as well. It is a well told story and while it is a bit mushy for me the characters are great and it is a good story.

 
At August 1, 2007 at 8:29 AM , Blogger kathy said...

Fabulous. Great context and how it impacts the characters. YAY

 
At September 9, 2007 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Katie said...

I loved it. YAY!
(Of Meryl Lee: "Was there ever such a jewel?" sigh!)
Katie

 
At November 5, 2007 at 10:46 AM , Blogger Deb Motley said...

Loved it, too. I remember those bomb drills and watching Walter Cronkite. I'd love to know how teens are responding or if it's just adults that like this book. I give it a yay.

 
At December 21, 2007 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Zandra said...

This was a heartwarming, "feel-good" type of book. But, I'm not sure who I would recommend it to. I don't think tweens/teens woould appreciate it as much as an nostalgic adult would. Great book, but I give it a MAYBE.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home