Saturday, June 30, 2007

Grief Girl by Erin Vincent


I'm having a hard time deciding if I liked this book. It is the story of Erin's teen years starting with the accidental death of both of her parents. The story is gripping, harrowing, and deeply emotional. Erin and her older sister are left to fend for themselves and baby brother, Trent, while their family and many friends desert them. My ambivalence is due to two smaller aspects of the book. First off, she thanks about 50 people in her acknowledgements section, but not her sister. This made me wonder about her motive for telling the story. Second issue: At one point in the story she is introduced to the works of Sylvia Plath by her teacher, Mrs. Ockenden. As she is comparing her life to The Bell Jar, she points out the coincidence that there is even a character named Mrs. Ockenden in the book. This would never work as a literary device in a work of fiction and I found myself doubting the veracity of some of the story. Two minor details, but ones that made me a little wary. Altogether, I think it was a well written memoir and I'll be interested to hear what everyone else thinks. I'll give it a YAY for now.

2 Comments:

At September 18, 2007 at 11:17 AM , Blogger Mary R said...

I also have mixed reactions about this book. I had a hard time getting through it, actually had to make myself finish it. But I did find myself thinking about it afterwards. I'll give it a maybe, for now.

 
At January 27, 2008 at 5:49 PM , Blogger Iris said...

I really enjoyed this book. I know many girls who would really understand the problems and feelings of the main character. Yay.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home