Thursday, June 21, 2007

Dramarama by E. Lockhart


Cute story about a "fantabulous" pair of friends who attend a prestigious theater summer camp. Demi is a gay, black young man who doesn't feel accepted at home. Sadye is a straight, white young woman who doesn't know if she has what it takes to be a STAR. The story was a fun romp through the uber-competitive, touchy-feely world of theater wannabees. The theater culture references will date this book (i.e. calling something Kristinish after Kristin Chenoweth from Wicked) and the characters were often predictable. Nice book to have on the shelves, but NAY for Thumb's Up.

3 Comments:

At August 18, 2007 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Mary R said...

I've enjoyed Lockhart's previous books, and found this one to be equally humorous and dramatic. This story also had a little more meat. The age old story of "where will I fit in." I'm going to give it a yea for now.

 
At January 2, 2008 at 10:53 AM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

There were aspects that most teens could relate to - friendships changing, competition, identity/finding your place, etc. but I feel that a teen who doesn't know anything about musicals/dramas might feel lost - NAY for me.

 
At February 7, 2008 at 10:17 AM , Blogger Iris said...

Nay for me. Four summers at an arts camp lets me relate to some extent, but I see this dating itself pretty quickly.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home