Thursday, June 21, 2007

What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know - Sonya Sones



I have to admit I am a going to be bias with this author, I love her work. This book was a very quick read and very teen appealing.

14-year-old Sophie, a Cambridge, Massachusetts, teen, describes her surprise when she is drawn to Robin, the school-appointed loser who makes her laugh. In this sequel, Robin picks up the narrative in rapid-fire, first-person free verse as he describes their school's reaction to the relationship: "They're gawking at us / like Sophie's Beauty and I'm the Beast." Sophie compares the two to outlaws: "It's just you and me against the world." But after Sophie's friends dump her, Robin feels guilty for the "random acts of unkindness" she endures: "Sophie may feel like an outlaw, / but thanks to yours truly, / what she really is / is an outcast." A talented artist, Robin finds escape in a Harvard drawing class, where a new friendship threatens his closeness with Sophie.

Great books, I give it a Yah! : )

3 Comments:

At June 21, 2007 at 1:02 PM , Blogger Elizabeth Norton said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At July 13, 2007 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

I also enjoyed this one. It is a sequel to What My Mother Doesn't Know but I feel that it stood on it's own very strongly. It was a quick read and I agree with SLJ's review when they said that it's "a great choice for reluctant and avid readers alike." I give it a YAY.

 
At August 15, 2007 at 11:07 AM , Blogger Iris said...

This book was surprisingly good. Instead of meandering into the new plot with a rehash of events from the previous book, this novel throws you right into a whole new story that you can instantly grasp. I don’t need to know Sophie’s friends or everything that happened in the last book to really enjoy this one.

Plus, it’s sexy without being gross or overly mushy. Sones gets teen (and college) lingo better than any of the previous authors I’ve read (not counting the non-American authors). If the ending is far-fetched, my experience with teen love tells me reality is equally ridiculous.

A real Yay.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home