Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Peak by Roland Smith


Peak Marcello finds himself facing jail time for scaling a skyscraper in NYC. As part of a plea deal, Peak is remanded into the custody of his father, the world famous mountain climber, Josh Wood. Josh is a narcissist, self absorbed and self promoting and has been largely absent from Peak's life. Josh sets up a climb of Everest, determined to make Peak the youngest climber to summit, if they can do it before his 15th birthday. Along the way, Peak learns what and who is important to him and makes some decisions that could change his life.
This was a well-written, fast-paced adventure that will definitely appeal to teen boys, especially the post Hatchet crowd. I don't know if it's the best of what is out there, but I can see giving it consideration. Yay.

6 Comments:

At July 5, 2007 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Mary R said...

Peak is full of action and adventure which will appeal to teen boys, but it also displays a thoughtful side. It gets a yeah from me.

 
At July 31, 2007 at 12:05 PM , Blogger Elizabeth Norton said...

I really liked this book...maybe not the best of the best, but definitely worth having in my collection. I'll be ordering it for my kids who want more like Korman's Everest trilogy. YAY

 
At August 15, 2007 at 11:04 AM , Blogger Iris said...

Basically, I started out thinking it wasn’t so cool, but by the time the sherpas had guided me to ABC, I was hooked. What a wonderful novel, full of thrills, thoughtful passages with interesting symbolism and conversation-worthy depth, and plot switchbacks to keep you on your toes. I learned quite a bit about hiking up Mt. Everest too. Yay!

 
At August 21, 2007 at 11:14 AM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

I really liked this book. Great boy book. Kept me hooked the whole book - read it in one sitting (haven't been doing much of that lately) which tells me how much I enjoyed it. Very well written. YAY!

 
At January 8, 2008 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Zandra said...

Overall, I really did enjoy this book. YAY

 
At February 2, 2008 at 7:49 PM , Blogger kathy said...

Peak is in my top 20. I know people who climb stuff like that - skyscrapers = urban mountain thrills. Peak captured my interest in the sport/challenge (unlike Gym Candy) and had good tangential issues - Sherpas, Tibet/China, some awareness of traditional (weather) and Buddhist practices.

YAY

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home