Monday, June 25, 2007

The Game by Diana Wynne Jones


I would say that this book is a cross between a myth and science fiction, as many of the characters are Greek Gods and Godesses. The children play a game that requires them to travel throughout a "mythosphere" even though they are forbidden to do so. Hayley has been living with her Grandparents, believing that her parents were dead, when they send her away to live with other relatives. Through this game she reconnects wth her parents and discovers the secrets that took them away from her. I found this book to be very confusing and didn't enjoy it at all. There were too many characters to keep track of and the explanation of the characters links to Greek myths came at the end of the book, when I felt it might have been more helpful to read it before I started to read the story. I felt that it was merely a story and had no emotional connection for me; I didn't care that much about what happened to any of the characters. NAY.

3 Comments:

At June 26, 2007 at 12:26 PM , Blogger Kip said...

The Game was not too bad, but there was no background or any explanation and very little in the way of character development. The plot was fairly creative, but I would have to give it a NAY.

 
At June 26, 2007 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Iris said...

Nay for me, too. This book was a total disappointment for me because she's used this premise before (character discovers the world is not as it seems) with better results.

 
At August 1, 2007 at 8:40 AM , Blogger kathy said...

Nay for me too. Game was interesting - maybe if it were developed with more depth of characters? Tried to do too much for this length of book.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home