Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott

I listened to this book on CD and thought it was really good. It is an action packed story that takes place in modern day California. Twins Josh and Sophie get caught up helping Josh's bookstore boss, Nick Fleming who turns out to be the immortal Nicholas Flamel. Flamel has been protecting the book of Abraham the Mage, also called the Codex, which has the recipe for keeping him immortal, along with lots of other prophecies and information. It is stolen (except for 2 pages that Josh has torn out) by another immortal, John Dee. One of the prophecies involves twins, so Josh and Sophie are pulled along for a wild ride as Flamel tries to retrieve the Codex. They meet all manner of creature, god and goddess from legend and myth. It doesn't really end...there will definitely be sequels. I'll give it a YAY because it's exciting, makes you want to know more about the mythical creatures, and is great good vs. evil plot.

3 Comments:

At July 14, 2007 at 9:34 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

I just finished this one also. I didn't realize it was on the list, until I looked. One of the local teens told me how great it was, so it definetly has lots of teen appeal and it was a good read for adults also. I give it a yah also.
~Carey

 
At August 1, 2007 at 6:48 AM , Blogger Karrie said...

This one only gets a NAY from me, despite the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed it and would readily recommend it. I really like the concept, but a) I don't think it stands alone all that well because of the rather abrupt ending, b) there was a lot of repetition of details that belie rough editing, and c) while it was neat to hear details that firmly planted the story in 2007 (iPods, Google Earth, etc.), one of the qualifications of the Thumbs Up! Award is timelessness. But I'm still looking forward to book two!

 
At October 1, 2007 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

It's a NAY for me. I only read the first couple of chapters - it only took that long for me to decide that I really liked the concept of the storyline/plot but I didn't love the writing.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home