Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Booth's Daughter by Raymond Wemmlinger

Edwina Booth is 18 and lives in the shadow of the assassination of President Lincoln by her uncle John Wilkes Booth, which happened when she was barely old enough to remember. Her father is a famous actor and she struggles to find herself in his world of art.

This has the potential to be a good story, but it often gets bogged down in historical details. Edwina and her father are strong characters, but the others seem to be shadows. Also, the ending happens rather too quickly for my taste and I'm not sure Edwina's character is very believable for the time period.

An interesting take on history, but for Thumbs Up purposes, I'm going to say NAY and wait to see what others think.

1 Comments:

At October 30, 2007 at 12:43 PM , Blogger Karrie said...

I liked this way more than I thought I would, as I'm not a big fan of historical novels. Zero boy appeal, though, and nothing to yell about, so a NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home