Monday, August 27, 2007

Glass by Ellen Hopkins (sequel to Crank)

I was waiting for this one to come in! This is a sequel to the popular Crank, a story about a teen girl's descent into meth addiction written in verse format. This is a quick read and takes place where the other title left off, with Kristina trying to raise her baby and fighting the urge to use again. Unfortunately, the fight doesn't last and she starts using again on page 6 (otherwise, no story, right? :) ) Anyone could read this title on its own and understand the story without having read the first title. The writing is of good quality; the story is entertaining; and I'm sure this title will be popular with teens as well. Do I think this is worthy of the Thumbs Up! award? Probably not; but if it makes the top 20 I'm sure you'll see some teen votes for it. I give it a (reluctant) NAY.

2 Comments:

At October 22, 2007 at 1:06 PM , Blogger Kip said...

I never read the first book, but I thought this was a accurate account of addiction. Unfortunately, it was also incredibly dreary with little character development, so I give it a NAY.

 
At November 11, 2007 at 9:54 AM , Blogger kathy said...

The verse format is intriguing. The story moves along with desperation. Heartbreaking that it is loosely based on Hopkins' daughter's walk with the monster. I thought Impulse by Ellen Hopkins had more character development. Maybe the caged hunger for meth offers fewer emotional connections for the reader. Certainly readable, especially for teens who are interested in "problem" plots. NAY

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home