Monday, August 13, 2007

Brothers, Boyfriends and Other Criminal Minds by April Lurie

Brothers, Boyfriends & Other Criminal Minds takes place on a street in 1977 Brooklyn where three mobsters live. April gets caught up in trouble when her brother starts seeing a mob boss' daughter and April begins helping out a guy on her street. There are a lot of characters here and Laurie allows many of them to develop including some of April's friends and the boys that eventually come into the picture. This was a pretty good book, though some of the writing was choppy for my taste. I'm not certain whether this is award worthy but the historical setting, somewhat complex plot and realistic characters helped me enjoy it. I give it a MAYBE for now.

2 Comments:

At August 29, 2007 at 6:11 AM , Blogger Kara Fredericks said...

I enjoyed this book and its characters, but I am not sure it is award worthy either. MAYBE

 
At November 9, 2007 at 6:13 PM , Blogger kathy said...

It was fun, but I don't feel like it is award worthy. The mob connection and historical fiction could make it a light read-alike for Al Capone Does My Shirts. The fashions they wore to the play cracked me up as well as the John Travolta references. (Vinny Barbarino was so bad boy sexy. I used to imitate Arnold Horshack's laugh) Book discussion could include a Romeo/Juliet thwarted love comparison.

Although I would pass it on to teens to read, I vote NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home