Sunday, August 12, 2007

The Navigator by Eoin McNamee

This time the cover provides a glimpse of the story one wouldn't expect once you realize who/what is pictured (*reference to my last posting re: Rover where I thought the cover was a detriment to the book's appeal).

The Navigator is reminiscent of The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman (His Dark Materials) where the hero learns along the way what the enemy is, and what his role is in the war. Owen also shoulders an unusual care taking role of a parent. Time is stretched, manipulated and turned backward, and power is wielded in different forms like ice and magnetic force. Owen is an outcast in "normal" life as well as in the Workhouse which may be a catalyst to his keen observation of others, mistrust and searching for truth in himself and his past. A sci-fi, fantasy epic.
YAY

3 Comments:

At August 13, 2007 at 2:21 PM , Blogger Kip said...

While not a bad story and one that I will give to some teens, I have to give this a NAY. It was too
run-of-the-mill fantasy for me and despite an interesting set up, it became methodical and uninteresting. I thought the author did not use the aspect of time very well and the bad guys were just caricatures of other evil guys.

 
At October 15, 2007 at 2:02 PM , Blogger Mary R said...

I listened to this some time ago, but was not too impressed with the story. It didn't stand out as an original fantasy even though there were some good elements including an exciting chase across the snow to the conclusion. Nay.

 
At November 23, 2007 at 8:40 AM , Blogger Kara Fredericks said...

I didn't enjoy this book. I also found that it was typical of other fantasy/ sci-fi teen books that I have read and nothing really captured my attention and made it stand out for me. I give it a NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home