Monday, August 13, 2007

Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham


Girl goes on vacation. Girl goes swimming. Girl attacked by shark. Girl must have arm amputated due to shark bite. Girl is an artist. Will she be an artist again? Girl recovers.
This story was ripped from the headlines and is told in prose which makes it a super fast read. Shark girl is likeable and her emotions and feelings seem real enough. Although the storyline is unique, the novel isn't very attention grabbing and is quite predictable. I think the cover and storyline will appeal to teens, but once they begin reading I think they will give up pretty easily. I give it a nay.

3 Comments:

At October 10, 2007 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

I really liked it - I thought it was a good "life" book. Not sure about for Thumbs Up though. I'll have to see if it sticks with me...

 
At October 11, 2007 at 10:07 AM , Blogger Iris said...

Nay for me.. I wound up skipping to the end pretty quickly. I found the main character's depression and morose anger and self pity really boring.

 
At November 6, 2007 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

Sort of neat how the author used different genres within the book. But I would have to give it a nay, just didn't hold my attention.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home