Monday, August 20, 2007

Repossessed by A.M. Jenkins


This quick read from A. M. Jenkins moves at a good pace and tackles some "deeper" subjects while maintaining a light tone. Kiriel is a self-described fallen angel whose job in the afterlife (you know, the hot one!) is tormenting the damned. He thinks it's a depressing job and wants to make a difference in the real world and so he decides to hijack the body of teen slacker Shaun. While in Shaun's body, Kiriel bolsters Shaun's relationship with his brother and mother, and establishes a romantic relationship with a girl who has a crush on Shaun. The descriptions of the physical sensations Kiriel experiences as Shaun are sensual and lush--running the gamut from the touch of a light breeze on his face to the sensation of making out with Lane. While Kiriel sought to teach lessons, he actually learns lessons about himself as he interacts with his friends, his family, and the kids at school.
I did enjoy the book and I think it will appeal to a large audience. There are explicit descriptions of, you know, some sensual acts, so it might not be appropriate for the younger crowd. I'd like to reserve judgment on this one until someone else reads it, so in the meantime, I'll give it a MAYBE.

4 Comments:

At October 16, 2007 at 7:41 PM , Blogger Katie said...

Yeah, I'm with Patty on this one. I thought that Jenkins did a nice job with the sensory matter, but less so with the spiritual topics. Theology is one of the areas of YA lit that is getting more attention, and while I think this was a decent submission that is bound to make readers think, I don't really see it as a classic. I'm going with NAY, although I enjoyed the book.
Katie

 
At December 26, 2007 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Iris said...

I really like this one, and my mother and I discussed it over Christmas after she heard me laughing and took it when I was through. The story stuck with me in a way that many of the other books I've been reading don't. I like the philosophical questions touched on by the demon, whose voice is decidedly not teenage in any way, but whose situation is very interesting and humorous. I give it a Yay.

 
At January 21, 2008 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

Not impressed, Nay

 
At February 1, 2008 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Mary R said...

This one stood out from the rest for me. I give it a Yay.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home