Thursday, September 6, 2007

My Mother the Cheerleader by Robert Sharenow

It is 1960 and Louise's mother dresses up everyday to go to the local elementary school and heckle Ruby Bridges as she bravely becomes the symbol for racial integration in the 9th ward of New Orleans. Mom owns a boarding house and a new boarder from New York comes to stay. His presence changes the way both Louise and her mother think. The hatred of the era is palpably evoked as Louise tries to sort out her own feelings and as she learns the reality of what's really happening. I think this is a fantastic and important book. A quick read, but it will stay with me for awhile. Yay.

4 Comments:

At December 1, 2007 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Iris said...

I admit, I've always wondered what the women in those old photographs were like, the ones spiting and howling at children going to school, be they black, or the white ones who crossed the picket lines. This book gives a tantalizing glimpse into the lives of the women who I've thought of and Hemingway wrote about them, as inhuman monsters.

I was so wrapped up in this story that when I finished it, I was almost disappointed. What a wonderful characterization of a relationships between a smart, yearning teenager, her beautiful, damaged, mother, her strong and caring housekeeper and the man who knew Earnest Hemingway.

 
At January 2, 2008 at 10:13 AM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

Good book.... YAY for me.

 
At January 10, 2008 at 10:20 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

Was a good book, I enjoy it.
Yah

 
At January 22, 2008 at 7:21 PM , Blogger kathy said...

definitely a top 20 contender
YAY

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home