Friday, December 14, 2007

Quaking by Kathryn Erskine


Quaking captures Matt's intensity as she moves to yet another home of a distant relative. Abused, isolated, bereft after her mother's death she tries to remain inconspicuous, flees from bullies, and cowers from conflict. And then she doesn't.

Erskine's writing is amazing and I could palpably feel Matt's panic and anxiety that alternates between paralysis and flailing. I also admire her stance against the war propaganda her Civics teacher seeks to entrench in his students.

I'd like to discuss this book with the group as I am aware of my leanings toward this topic (opposite to my aversion to THE PROM topic), so I acknowledge my bias. YAY for now.

2 Comments:

At February 3, 2008 at 4:50 AM , Blogger Zandra said...

Although I do think this is a good book and will be sure to generate good discussion on a timely topic, there was just something about it that was not satisfying to me. I just can't put my finger on it. I guess I just wanted to know a little more about Jessica, even Rory. Also, I think that Erskine's description of how Rory felt around "Rat" and Mr. "Warhead" was starting to sound like a broken record and I just wanted her to do or say something. Anyway, I'm saying NAY. After discussion with the group I'm willing to change my vote.

 
At February 6, 2008 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Iris said...

I wasn't so impressed by this book either, I found the main character's voice didn't ring true, and her almost claustrophobic fears or rat seemed way too extreme right at the beginning. NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home