Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Red Glass by Laura Resau


I really enjoyed this book. Sophie and her family become the guardians of Pablo, a 6-year-old whose parents perished trying to cross from Mexico into Arizona. When the family decides to adopt Pablo, Sophie embarks on a journey to Oaxaca to meet Pablo's extended family and get the adoption papers signed. Her tripmates include her great-aunt Dika (a refugee from the Bosnian war) and Mr. Lorenzo and son, Angel (refugees from la violencia in Guatemala). The journey turns into one of self discovery as Sophie faces her lifelong anxieties and falls in love with Angel.
I thought Resau's language was lyrical and her character development was nuanced and interesting. While there could have been a little more editing, this is still a gem of a book. I really would like to see this one get some more attention. Yay.

4 Comments:

At January 27, 2008 at 12:56 PM , Blogger kathy said...

Resau's writing is lyrical with pungent descriptions that leave lingering tastes at the corners of your mouth. Definitely in my top 20 - maybe even 10. YAY

 
At February 3, 2008 at 6:34 AM , Blogger Iris said...

I was delighted for finally find a really good story of immigrants to the US, a nuanced look at crossing the border, and crossing back again. It was romantic, the plot the story moving even though there was lots of description of the landscapes and people. I thought it went a little bit long, but I'll say YAY for sure.

 
At February 4, 2008 at 5:00 AM , Blogger Karrie said...

I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. YAY here, too.

 
At February 5, 2008 at 8:47 AM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

I liked it but didn't LOVE it. NAY for me.

I really liked the various relationships and romances weaved into the story & enjoyed the story. I had trouble with the idea that the main character took such risks and chances even though so many people warned her of the serious dangers and of course it just worked out fine for her, even though she didn't take any extra precautions.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home