Friday, January 4, 2008

Someday this pain will be useful to you by Peter Cameron

I will start off by saying that I have been searching for queer novels a lot lately, after I discovered by library's collection of teen lit for questioning teenage boys was non-existent. So I was pleasantly surprised to find a nice fresh crop of such books in 2007, and this one is currently at the top of my list because its not focused on coming out, its all about being a lonely, smart, sad teenager who makes bad decisions that won't ruin life, but certainly complicate it.

Most of the time books that take place in New York just bug the hell out of me, but this one doesn't drop names every three paragraphs, or talk about how amazing New York is, so I didn't find myself skimming. The language is wonderful. I really enjoyed the sections where James talks to his shrink, or describes the trash cans in his mother's art gallery. It made me laugh in a quiet way. Yay.

6 Comments:

At January 5, 2008 at 10:09 AM , Blogger Karrie said...

I have to go the opposite direction and give this a NAY. I felt that the entire book was just bleak, and nothing ever truly happened and none of the characters ever truly grew.

 
At January 7, 2008 at 9:44 AM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

I struggled with this one over the weekend. I was very excited to read it because Publisher's Weekly had it on one of their best of 2007 lists in their latest issue. (They had Freak Show too.) But I was not impressed at all. Sorry, Nay for me.

 
At January 10, 2008 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

I couldn't get into this one at all and I tried it reading it at least three times. Just didn't hold my interest. Nay

 
At January 12, 2008 at 4:19 PM , Blogger Carol K said...

I had mixed feelings when I finished the book. The language was strong. The handling of the subject was neither "in your face" or "fluffy." However, I did not think the characters developed or changed. There was no growth in terms of understanding. I give it a NAY.

 
At January 14, 2008 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

I felt that the story didn't really end - nothing was really resolved or finished at the end. I thought it was very well written and has teen appeal for every teen questioning who they are and/or why they aren't happy with their life. I thought the main character was interesting and quirky - reminded me of the main character from "Perks of being a wallflower". None of the characters seemed to grow and overall, I did not love it - so I'm giving it a NAY.

 
At January 15, 2008 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Iris said...

I think I'm safely over-ruled. Nay it is! ^_^

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home