Monday, September 24, 2007

Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger


Angela is a junior in high school who's made an important decision, she's changed her name to Grady and begins living her life as a boy. Grady encounters many different levels of support from acceptance to hostility. There are a few instances of bullying and Wittlinger does a good job of the family's reaction to his decision. While I enjoyed the novel, if you've read Luna then you know that this one doesn't even come close to being as good. While I admit that Wittlinger does a pretty good job of presenting Grady and his life, I still thought the novel was slightly preachy and I couldn't really like Grady as a character. Just my opinion. I am going to say Nay although I think many will disagree because I know it got strong reviews. I couldn't help but keep comparing it to Luna. I applaud her for tackling such an underwritten topic. Nay for me.

3 Comments:

At October 17, 2007 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

I also felt it was very "preachy" and almost more educational than a story. I didn't finish reading it. Again, I appreciate having books on subjects such as this one but this book did not work for me.

 
At November 6, 2007 at 7:12 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

Nay for me also,I didn't like how it read. Didn't finish it either.

 
At November 28, 2007 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Iris said...

I didn't think it was an authentic voice of a transgendered teen. NAY.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home