Monday, October 15, 2007

The Confessional by J.L. Powers

I really liked this tale from El Paso, Texas. Powers follows six teens with various backgrounds a year after an incident where someone blows up a bridge where lots of bystanders are killed. The Mexican population still wants to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, while many of the Americans do not.
After some fights at one of the city's Catholic schools and then the murder of one of the involved students, tension in the city is incredibly high. The six teens all have problems and different view points. I saw this had a terrible review in VOYA, but I thought it was gripping and cool. YAY.

2 Comments:

At January 8, 2008 at 7:28 PM , Blogger kathy said...

I am conflicted about my vote on this one. The topic is timely, pertinent, important and critical for talking about race relations and prejudice. The writing is good, and Powers pulled off the shifting first person narrations well. I really liked Powers' technique of narrating the same scene from different points of view with added dialogue that the previous narrator didn't include. (don't we all remember the same event or sequence slightly differently?)

I didn't find the background on Jim Hill convincing and questioned his remaining friendships among characters that I didn't believe would still be friends with him.

I also didn't find scenes or dialogue sticking with me the way some of the other books have. I think it is valuable and belongs in public library collections, but I am leaning toward a NAY on this one.

 
At February 1, 2008 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Zandra said...

Yes, this is a timely and important topic that is sure to generate frank discussion. Like Kathy, I am conflicted about my vote. I can't quite say nay, but would have to be convinced to say yay. For now, MAYBE

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home