Saturday, October 6, 2007

They Came From Below by Blake Nelson


This was a neat book and I'm giving it a YAY for now. Writing in a concise, matter-of-fact style, Nelson follows 17-year old Emily and her friend during summer vacation on Cape Cod. The combination of some strange things in the ocean and two "tourists" who don't seem quite human turn their vacation into an adventure. There are a lot of cool characters in this book and some very minor characters are fleshed out. It did not overwhelm me, but this is a cool combination of adventure, sci-fi and quirky realistic fiction.

3 Comments:

At December 3, 2007 at 3:47 PM , Blogger kathy said...

The story is an interesting premise with ecology, sort of mystic "feel good" sci fi element, and a government cover up of a missing nuclear missile. Reminded me of the movie "Cocoon" combined with "Splash" where the "alien" release was inevitable.

I found the characters underwhelming and not particularly developed except for Steve and Dave. The twist at the end was nice. The jail break scenes were well paced.

NAY

 
At February 4, 2008 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Kara Fredericks said...

I really enjoyed this and thought that the environmental aspect was very appropriate. I agree with the "Cocoon" reference, :) I enjoyed the interactions between the characters and give it a YAY.

 
At February 6, 2008 at 10:32 PM , Blogger Zandra said...

Not normally a fantasy/sci fi type of girl, but this one was alright. I must say that I didn't like the ending, but still a YAY for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home