Thursday, October 11, 2007

The White Darkness by Geraldine McCaughrean


Well! This book really suprised me. I think I was expecting a female version of Peak, only with an Antarctic setting and I wasn't terribly interested. It sat on my shelf for a while, until it was the last T.U. book I had in the house. Should have known that McCaughrean wouldn't give us typical adventure fare!
Symone is spirited away to Antarctica with her "uncle", presumably as a spur of the moment decision. But as Sym watches, the deceptions and lies unfold around her. Eventually she is left, abandoned on the Ice, with a con man/actor and her imaginary beau Titus. A harrowing, thought-provoking adventurethat is just creepy enough!
YAY
Katie

4 Comments:

At January 10, 2008 at 10:30 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

I really couldn't get into this one. Nay

 
At January 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

I'm with Carey, it didn't work for me - NAY

 
At January 28, 2008 at 6:39 AM , Blogger Mary R said...

I just dragged myself through this after learning it was the Printz winner. Although it may be beautifully written, I can't think of a teen I know to recommend it to. I feel this title lacks teen appeal so must vote Nay.

 
At January 28, 2008 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Deb Motley said...

I get the appeal. It's a good adventure story, although adventure is not my thing, particularly. But I didn't love it and will also give it a NAY

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home