Monday, October 8, 2007

Girl at Sea by Maureen Johnson


Clio is seventeen and her entire summer has just been ruined. Rather than working a new job at an art store with a cute guy, she is off on a 10 week vacation with her dad and crew in the Meditteranean Sea looking for some artifact. The beginning is a little slow, but once the adventures begin at sea things really pick up. I finished this novel over the weekend and was better than I expected. While I recommend for library collections, don't think it is MI Thumbs UP worthy. Just my opinion. I will say Maybe.

2 Comments:

At November 20, 2007 at 3:04 PM , Blogger Katie said...

I really didn't care for this book. I felt like she desperately needed an editor, both for style, concept, and language. The book felt like three stories mashed together: historical fiction about Pompeii, teen love triangle, and murderous sea adventure. I never bought into Clio as a character(how many times can we be told that she is an alterna-chick/freak although the cover art shows generic sexpot) and I found the rest of the characters stiff and unlikeable. Nay
Katie

 
At February 7, 2008 at 10:19 AM , Blogger Iris said...

I found the first few chapters a little dull, but the story picks up later.. I found myself wanting to skip over all the historical insertions and just get to the bits with the romantic triangle. The cover is a TERRIBLE choice for this book, the looking at it and wondering: is that Elsa? Or Elsa maybe 3 years before the book took place? Nay for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home