Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Faeries of Dreamdark: Blackbringer by Laini Taylor



Now THIS is what Ironside could have been. It seems like faeries have become their own genre lately there's so many of them cropping up in teen and younger lit, and to be honest, I wasn't expecting much from this book. But it was a really fun romp with a tough main character and some interesting quirks (she hangs out with a bunch of crows who are gypsies and actors) and some great faery slang. While I don't think it's an award-winner, it gets a MAYBE just because I really enjoyed it and would heartily recommend it for any reader interested in this kind of topic. And you just know from the title that there will be more!

2 Comments:

At December 11, 2007 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Elizabeth Norton said...

It took me awhile to finish this one, but I'm really glad I did. I love how detailed the setting is with the faeries having their own slang rather than just being little humans who happen to have wings. I've even caught myself using a bit of faerie slang since I finished it, and if it's that much in my head, I think it's a YAY.

 
At January 31, 2008 at 7:05 PM , Blogger kathy said...

enjoyed it greatly - some interesting twists that elevates it above many in the genre. the ending is satisfying without being pat. i agree with karrie that it seems there are more to come. recommendable book - solid fantasy, but not sure it is necessarily TU. MAYBE

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home