Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan

Naomi and Ely grew up across the hall from each other in a NYC apartment building, and they're best friends for life...until Ely kisses Naomi's boyfriend and means it...then all bets are off.

I wasn't looking forward to this book at all, since I was NOT a fan of the earlier collaboration of these two authors, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I was a bit pleasantly surprised by this book, which is an interesting take on the evolution of a friendship, although it read a bit like fantasy masquerading as realistic fiction. There are some real gems of truth in this tale, though, so even though it's not the best I've read, I'm going to say MAYBE and wait to see what others think.

4 Comments:

At October 30, 2007 at 12:38 PM , Blogger Karrie said...

I'm with you on the MAYBE. I liked it a lot better than Nick & Norah, and I found it really touching and reaffirming in a very real way by the end, but I'm not sure it's award-worthy. I'd definitely recommend it though.

 
At January 3, 2008 at 9:14 AM , Blogger Zandra said...

I liked this way better than Nick & Norah (less cursing). Anyway, this was a good (not great) book. I give it a NAY only because I don't think its award worthy.

 
At January 4, 2008 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Iris said...

I wasn't a big fan of this book, mostly because some of the characters were less interesting to me and I really didn't much care what they had to say. The dialog was snappy and precise, and Ely's chapters concerning Naomi really hit home for me (ouch!), but I don't think it deserves an award. Nay, but I have plans to promote the book.

 
At January 28, 2008 at 10:03 AM , Blogger Anne Keller said...

Nay for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home