Thursday, October 25, 2007

Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder by Nadia Shivack


This was a really quick read--I blasted through it on my lunch break. It's an autobiographical graphic novel that details one woman's struggle with her eating disorder, nicknamed Ed or "the alien inside," which was ongoing from age 14 to 40 (she's now in remission). Interesting because it looked really closely at the subject and her individual struggle rather than provide strictly factual information. It was a little hard to follow, and since nonfiction and graphic novels really have to blow my socks off, I'm going to say NAY, but I'm interested to see what others (who are more experienced with graphic novels) think.

3 Comments:

At October 30, 2007 at 12:42 PM , Blogger Karrie said...

I have to give this one a NAY. Important topic, but I really wasn't crazy about the artwork.

 
At November 8, 2007 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Kip said...

I could not get into the artwork as well. She did a good job of piecing the story together and it is fairly creative, but the artwork and choatic nature of it make this kind of tough to read, so I'm going NAY.

 
At November 28, 2007 at 10:40 AM , Blogger Iris said...

I didn't like the artwork either, and when I showed it too teens they were like, "where's that one book.. Skinny?" They wanted a real story about eating disorders, not a weird graphic nonfiction.

NAY

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home