Saturday, November 3, 2007

Deadline by Chris Crutcher


18 year old Ben receives a routine physical for the football team and learns that he has an illness that will allow him only one year to live. Instead of getting treatment, Ben decides to keep his diagnosis a secret and live the remainder of his life without anyone knowing. Crutcher delivers another great novel with football action and other heavy topics. The only thing that bothers me about the novel and his previous Sledding Hill is that they tend to get a little preachy. Yes we know Crutch is totally against censorship of any kind and again uses this novel as his platform. While the novel was good overall, I give it a Maybe.

4 Comments:

At December 17, 2007 at 8:28 AM , Blogger Deb Motley said...

I found the book a bit implausible. Dying and a football hero at the same time? That said, I liked the live life to the fullest everyday message. I also give it a MAYBE. It kept me engaged and thinking despite its flaws.

 
At January 3, 2008 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Kip said...

I will say NAY on this one. Crutcher is always good, but it was overly preachy, not very plausible and I'm tired of evil Social Studies teachers.

 
At January 7, 2008 at 2:53 PM , Blogger Janice Heilman said...

NAY for me.

 
At January 10, 2008 at 10:26 AM , Blogger Carey Holmes said...

I love Crutchers novels but this one lacked something. Nay for me also.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home